This balsamic roasted beetroot recipe is great as a side to the main meal for lunch or dinner.
It's also a really nice accompaniment to a potato salad as part of a picnic.
- 900g of raw beetroot
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 6 tbsps of olive oil
- 3 tbsps of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsps of lemon juice
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp of sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- 6 tbsps of water
- Baking tray
- Chopping board
- Large bowl
- Spoon or set of tongs
- Vegetable peeler
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas mark 7
- Trim the stalks and roots from the beetroot and then peel.
- Leave any small beetroots whole and cut any larger ones into half, or quarter if larger.
- Put the prepared beetroot into a small roasting tray.
- In a small bowl, mix the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper together.
- Pour the mixture over the beetroot, and turn the pieces a few times so they are well coated.
- Spread out the beetroot into a single layer in the tray and tuck in the sprigs of thyme.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 40 mins before removing. turn and mix the beetroot around a couple of times and then sprinkle over the water.
- Turn and mix the beetroot around a couple of times and then sprinkle over the water.
- Place back into the oven to continue roasting for a further 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Note: Cooking times for beetroot can vary a lot, so check for tenderness every so often.
Energy519kj 124kcal 6.2%
Beetroot adds a rich boost of colour to any salad or meal. Its traditionally known for its deep ruby colour, but can have gold, white or pink stripped flesh depending on the level of pigment. Its colour shows it contains beneficial nutrients such as vitamin C and beta-carotene, which is converted in the body to vitamin A.
Beetroot contains good levels of iron, calcium and is also rich in fibre.