A comforting and hearty carrot and celeriac gratin recipe that will easily feed 6 people and more.
- 350g celeriac
- 450g carrots
- 50g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half fat creme fraiche
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 100g feta or any strongly flavoured melting cheese
- pinch ground pepper
- 2 Large bowls
- Chopping board
- Large ovenproof dish
- Vegetable peeler
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 190ᵒC/gas mark 5
- Peel the celeriac and carrots and cut into 1inch cubes, then steam for around 30 mins until soft
- Mash in a large pan or bowl with the butter, creme fraiche, nutmeg and pepper until smooth.
- In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs and crumble in the cheese, then season with some more pepper.
- Spoon the vegetable mash into a large ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mix.
- Bake in the oven for 20mins until the topping is browned and bubbling hot
Nutrition per serving portion (serves 6)
Each portion provides on average
Energy770kj 184kcal 9.2%
Celeriac is the edible root bulb of the celery plant, therefore it tastes like celery. It is a good source of Vitamin K which is used in blood clotting and normal bone structure and potassium, used to regulate blood pressure.
Hearty and comforting
Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene which is converted in the body to vitamin A, an essential vitamin needed for health and function of our skin and other body tissue linings. It also helps to keep our immune system healthy and our vision in dim light.