This is one of the most simple and delicious pizza recipes you'll come across, and it's one you'll end up making again and again.
Pizza dough ingredients
- 1 cup (136g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup (245g) plain natural yoghurt
Pizza sauce ingredients
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil (leaves picked and torn) or 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Baking tray
- Chopping board
- Garlic crusher
- Large bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Rolling pin
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat your oven to 200ᵒC/Gas mark 6
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and yoghurt together.
- Add more flour if mixture becomes too sticky
- Once combined, transfer to a well-floured work surface.
- Knead and fold the dough for 5 mins, adding more flour if it starts to become more sticky
- Use the whole dough to make one large pizza base or split in half to make 2 smaller ones.
- Sprinkle flour onto a rolling pin or large bottle, then flatten and roll out the dough to the rough size and thickness needed.
- Carefully transfer to a lightly oiled baking tray and drizzle a little more oil over the pizza base.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size saucepan, add the garlic stirring until lightly coloured.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and basil or dried, mixed herbs.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir well.
- Squash/mash the bigger pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bring the mixture up to the boil and then turn the heat down and gently simmer for 5 mins to thicken slightly and intensify the flavours.
- Once thickened, its ready to be spread straight onto your freshly made dough base.
- Add any chopped and sliced toppings you like and sprinkle or place pieces of your favourite melting cheese on top. (If using any uncooked meat, cook separately in a little oil in a frying pan before adding to the pizza)
- Place the pizza into the oven and cook for 10-15 mins or until the dough is lightly golden and the toppings are heated through.
- Share and enjoy!
Nutrition per serving portion (serves 2)
Each portion provides on average (without extra toppings)
Energy1657kj 396kcal 19.8%
Homemade is best
Making your pizza from scratch means you can control exactly what goes into it. This recipe contains far less sugar and salt than shop bought pizzas and also none of the added nasties such as artificial flavour enhancers or preservatives.
A good source of fibre
Using wholemeal flour in the recipe means it provides a good amount of fibre, important to keep our digestive systems healthy. The natural yoghurt also provides a good source of beneficial calcium, protein and fatty acids.