Looking for easy way to boost your intake of veg and beneficial nutrients? Basil is probably the most usual base for making pesto, but using Kale instead is a great tasting alternative. Kale is high in Vitamins A and C and is a good source of fibre.
When food shopping this weekend, why not give your immune system a natural boost, by picking up a bag of kale while you're in the veg aisle.
- 100g kale
- 50g pine nuts
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150ml of olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- Chopping board
- Kitchen scales
- Non-stick frying pan
- Spoon or set of tongs
- Stick blender or food processor
- Wash the kale and roughly chop enough for 85g.
- Heat the pine nuts in a small frying pan without oil until golden
- Place in a food processor with the kale, garlic, Parmesan, oil and lemon juice and blitz to a paste.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
Energy1255kj 300kcal 15%
Dark green veg
Dark green leafy veg is one of the best sources of many important vitamins and minerals and during the winter months when our immune systems could do with a boost, Kale especially, is at its best.
It can be used straight away mixed into cooked pasta, or once cooled can be kept in a sealed jar, covered with oil and will keep for a few months in the fridge.