This is my go-to macaroni cheese recipe when I feel like some satisfying comfort food. A great recipe to experiment with different vegetables, herbs and spices.
With the use of wholemeal pasta, reduced levels of saturated fat and steamed extra veggies, this recipe is a winner all around.
- 180g wholemeal macaroni or any other pasta
- 200g broccoli, cut into thumb size pieces
- 2 small carrots, washed and diced
- 100g mushrooms sliced
- 1 small leek, washed, trimmed and sliced
- 600ml semi-skimmed milk
- 50g corn flour
- 100g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 25g Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Ground pepper
- Chopping board
- Kitchen scales
- Large ovenproof dish
- Large saucepan
- Measuring jug
- Medium saucepan
- Small saucepan with a thick bottom
- Vegetable peeler
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 200ᵒC/gas mark 6 and put the macaroni in a large pan of boiling water to cook, follow the cooking times on the pack instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, steam the all the veg except for the mushrooms until almost soft but still with a little bite
- Add the cornflour to a small pan with a little of the milk and heat gently while stirring with a whisk.
- While whisking, add the rest of the milk in a little at a time until it becomes thicker.
- Add the extra mature cheese, along with the mustard and pepper.
- Once the pasta and vegetables are cooked, strain the pasta and add back to the pan.
- Add the vegetables, sauce and raw mushrooms to the pan, mix together well and place into the ovenproof dish.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Energy1372kj 328kcal 16.4%
Feeling fuller for longer
Using wholemeal pasta in this recipe, or even half and half wholemeal/white pasta increases the beneficial fibre content and keeps us feeling fuller for longer.
Variety of veg
This is a great recipe to use as a base, where you can experiment with lots of different vegetables, herbs and spice combinations.