This is a great summertime recipe for a simple, fresh and healthy salad with grated beetroot, carrot and apple.
Although the sugars look high in this recipe, they are all natural sugars contained in the vegetables and fruit so are a good part of a healthy diet.
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large apple, shredded
- zest and juice of 1 orange or lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Chopping board
- Large bowl
- Stick blender or food processor
- Give the vegetables and fruit a good wash before trimming and peeling the beetroot.
- Trim off both ends of the carrot before using a grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding blade to shred the beetroot, carrot and apple.
- Place the shredded vegetables and fruit into a large bowl.
- Using the fine side of the grater, zest the orange or lemon and add to the bowl.
- Slice the orange or lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl.
- Sprinkle with the pepper and mix well with a spoon or your hands.
Energy213kj 51kcal 2.55%
Source of fibre
The whole vegetables and fruit in this recipe provide a good amount of fibre. Fibre helps to keep us feeling fuller for longer and keeps our digestive systems and gut bacteria healthy.
Vitamins and Minerals
Beetroots are a good source of folate and potassium. Folate is vital for the body to make red blood cells and also helps with cell division and growth. Its important for women who are pregnant to ensure they are getting enough folate or the supplement form (folic acid) in order to help prevent any brain or spinal deformities in the developing fetus. Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A which is needed for healthy skin and vision.