This lovely and simple throat soothing, warming and immune boosting recipe is great to make at this time of the year using orange, cloves and cinnamon for those autumn smells and flavours. It's also equally nice to make during the summer months using lemons or limes and a sprig of fresh mint.
Whether you feel the start of a cold coming on or you are already suffering from the symptoms. Instead of spending money on expensive packets of cold and flu remedies made up of artificial ingredients and are less effective, why not try making your own natural and inexpensive soothing and immune boosting mix to use anytime you need it.
Homemade cough and cold remedy ingredients
- 2 small oranges, lemons or limes, (unwaxed if available) washed and sliced
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons, ground cinnamon
- 4 cloves, ground
- 1 jar of honey (more local the better)
- Large glass jam or pickling jar
- Pestle and morter to grind the cloves (or place in a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin or heavy pan)
- Vegetable peeler
How to make your own cough and cold recipe
- Slice the ginger and oranges, or whatever citrus fruit you are using
- Grind the cloves
- Place the citrus fruit and slices in alternate layers in the jar
- Sprinkle a little of the ground cloves and cinnamon between each layer
- Pour in the honey, allowing it to sink around and fill all the spaces between the fruit and ginger slices
- Fill the jar to the top, covering all the slices then seal tightly with the lid
- Place in the fridge to infuse for 24 hours
- When needed, add 2 teaspoons of the mixture to hot water for a soothing and healing tea
- The mixture will happily keep in the refrigerator for a few months and start to form a loose jelly
Energy540kj 129kcal 6.45%
Honey is a natural antibacterial
Honey is a natural antibacterial that's been used for thousands of years and is very good for soothing a sore throat. Natural oils in ginger have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Ginger is also very effective at reducing the symptoms of nausea. Natural oils in cloves are antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
Cinnamon contains antioxidant
Cinnamon contains antioxidant polyphenols and has anti-inflammatory properties. Citrus fruits are high in antioxidant vitamin C, naturally helping to boost the bodies immune system.