Nutty Fruit PorridgeRecipe by Joe Jones,easy Prep: 15 mins,Cooking: 15 mins,Serves: 2
Porridge is one of the best starts to the day. A very healthy breakfast, especially using fruit for natural sweetness.
Together, the oats and fruit provide fibre and slow release energy throughout the morning.
Nutty fruit porridge ingredients
- 300g rolled oats
- 1 apple, chopped
- 3 dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp sliced or flaked almonds
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 700ml water
- 650ml skimmed milk, or to taste
- Chopping board
- Kitchen scales
- Large saucepan
- Measuring jug
To make nutty fruit porridge
- Place the water and cinnamon into a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil then add the oats. Reduce the heat to simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, until thickened to your taste.
- Divide the porridge into bowls then top with apple pieces, dates, almonds and a sprinkling of brown sugar.
- Add skimmed milk, to taste, to each bowl and serve.
- To save time in the morning, the oats can be placed in a bowl with the water and cinnamon and cooked in the microwave for 1 min 30 seconds. Stir well, then cook for another 1 min 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave, stir in the fruit and almonds and add milk to taste.
Energy1632kj 390kcal 19.5%
Sources of fibre
A great source of protein and carbohydrate, oats keep us fueled after our night time fast and feeling fuller for longer. The oats, fruit and almonds in this recipe also provide a great source of dietary fibre, helping to release the energy slowly throughout the morning and keep our guts healthy.
Heart healthy oats
Oats contain a soluble dietary fibre called beta glucan, which in many studies has been shown to help reduce LDL cholesterol levels in the blood, reducing the risk of developing heart disease.