A great tasting and healthy lunch of poached eggs and grilled vegetables on crispbreads or lightly toasted ciabatta.
Poached eggs ingredients
- 2 courgettes
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 red peppers
- 1 red onion
- 110g cherry tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar or pesto (see our homemade pesto recipe)
- 4 crispbreads or ciabatta rolls
- Ground black pepper
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Non-stick frying pan
- Pastry brush
- Slotted spoon
How to make the poached eggs
- Trim the ends off the courgettes and slice lengthways.
- Cut the aubergine in half lengthways, then into slices 5mm thick.
- Core and deseed the red peppers then cut into quarters.
- Cut the red onion into thick slices.
- Preheat the grill or non-stick frying pan on high.
- Brush the vegetables with plenty of oil.
- Place the pepper skin side up under the grill, or skin-side down in the frying pan and cook until black and charred
- Grill or fry the other vegetables turning every now and then until cooked and browned.
- When the vegetables look like they are nearly ready, break the eggs into a large pan of gently boiling water and poach for 3 mins.
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain a little more before serving.
- Cut the rolls in half and toast the cut side under the grill or in a separate frying pan.
- Place each roll cut side up on separate warm plates and pile a handful of the vegetables on each roll.
- Place a poached egg on top of each veg pile, drizzle with the balsamic vinegar or pesto and finally season with black pepper.
Energy1619kj 387kcal 19.35%
Vitamins & Minerals
Each serving of veg provides part of our recommended daily portions of vegetables and contains a variety of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Potassium.
Eggs provide one of the best sources of protein and cooked in this way, instead of fried in oil are even better for us.