With the changing colder weather, this is a lovely warming soup to make and enjoy anytime, but especially at this time of year.
Spiced carrot and lentil soup
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1litre hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- Large saucepan
- Stick blender or food processor
How to make the soup
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside.
- Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
- Season to taste, and finish with a dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices.
Energy544kj 130kcal 6.5%