Mexican Turkey Croquettes
Mexican Turkey Croquettes
Turkey croquettes with bread
- Recipe difficulty - medium
- Preparation time - 35-40 mins
- Cooking time - 20-25 mins
- Serves - 4
- Dietary - Meat
- Allergens - eggs
Delicious smokey chipotle turkey croquettes, baked in a parmesan and flaxseed crust.
- 500g of turkey breast mince
- Small red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions, cut into quarters
- Small dried chipotle chilli or 2 teaspoons of paste.
- 1 egg
- 25g of grated Parmesan cheese
- 55g of golden flaxseeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon of cold water
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon of mild paprika
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 large avocado, halved and stoned
- 2 tablespoons of plain natural yogurt
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Baking tray
- Chopping board
- Kitchen scales
- Large bowl
- Pastry brush
- Small bowl
- Spoon or set of tongs
- Stick blender or food processor
Preheat oven to 200C/Gas mark 6.
Cover a baking tray with greaseproof paper and brush with a little of the oil.
Place the onions, red pepper, carrot and thyme leaves and blitz until finely chopped.
Add the turkey mince, chilli or paste, paprika and salt and pepper and blitz until evenly mixed.
Scoop out dessertspoon sized amounts of the mixture and using your hands, roll into rough oval shapes and place on a large clean plate.
In a small bowl, mix the egg, water and a pinch of salt and ground pepper.
In the larger bowl, mix the cheese and flaxseeds.
One at a time, dip the croquettes into the egg and lift out with 2 forks. Drain well and roll into the cheese mix.
Place on the prepared baking tray and continue until all of the croquettes are well coated.
Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, turning halfway through.
To check if they are cooked, cut one in half and the juices will run clear with no pink meat.
Just before the croquettes are ready to serve, prepare the avocado dip.
Scoop the avocado flesh into a dish, using a fork mash with the lime zest and juice and mix with the yoghurt.
Serve straight away with the hot croquettes.
Nutrition per serving portion (serves 4)
Each portion provides
Energy 1343kj 321kcal 16.05%
Fat 17.0g 24%
Saturates 4.3g 22%
Carbohydrates 8.72g 9%
Sugars 4.37g 5%
Salt 0.45g 8%
Protein 35.6g High
Fibre 4.32g High
Healthy lean protein
Turkey mince is a healthier lean meat that is high in protein. The flaxseeds in the coating also provide a source of omega-3 oils.
Baked not Fried
Baking the croquettes is a better way of cooking, using far less oil and helping to protect more of the beneficial nutrients.
Send recipe to Google Home
Google home internet of things.